BUSINESS AND COMMUNITY LEADER DAVID MAYO FILES TO BECOME THE NEXT MAYOR OF PENSACOLA
Pensacola, Fl - Today, business and community leader David Mayo filed paperwork to become the next mayor of Pensacola.
Mayo said, “Pensacola is a wonderful city with tremendous potential. I’m running for Mayor because I believe my practical approach to leadership coupled with strong determination will help us realize it. I have a demonstrated passion for service, a proven history of working through challenges and a clear vision that will improve the lives of every resident. I believe in respectful dialogue, partnerships and collaboration for our city’s bright future.”
“When I was 15, I suffered a paralyzing mountain climbing accident in Idaho that changed the course of my life. Facing this adversity at such a young age shaped much of my thinking on leadership. Good leaders see past the challenges in front of them. Where some may see obstacles or difficulty, I see hope and opportunity.”
“Residents, businesses, and City Hall must work together to preserve our strong sense of history, retain and attract talent, grow our businesses, protect our natural environment, prioritize public safety, encourage healthy, active lifestyles and improve our neighborhoods. There have been great improvements in our city over the last few years and building on this momentum, I believe greater things are yet to come.”
Get to Know David Mayo
David is the General Manager of WHBR TV-33, a full power television station broadcasting Christian/family programming to the Gulf Coast with a reach of nearly 1.2 million people. David is a Pensacola native and University of West Florida Alumni. He and his wife, Beverly, have been married 24 years and have one son, Don.
David’s community service centers on efforts to improve the daily lives of all citizens. David is heavily involved in the Pensacola community serving on the following Board of Directors:
- Lakeview Center/Baptist Healthcare - helping people overcome life’s challenges
- Global Connections to Employment - helping people with disabilities achieve successful employment
- City of Pensacola Parks and Recreation Board
- City of Pensacola Bicycle Advisory Committee - Chairman charged with assisting Pensacola in becoming an official “Bicycle Friendly Community”
- Loaves and Fishes Soup Kitchen - reaches out to homeless men, women and children with an effort to meet their spiritual and material needs
- Teen Challenge - Christ centered addiction recovery center for men and women of all ages
- Globe International - Missions Sending Organization with 165 missionaries serving 40 countries
- West Florida Wheelman - NW Florida official cycling club that encourages all people to enjoy bicycling, helping to ensure that it’s a safe, fun activity for recreation, transportation, fitness and/or competition
In 2004, David founded and serves as Tournament Director of the Pensacola Open Wheelchair Tennis Championships, drawing the world’s top players from 20+ nations and has become the 3rd largest tournament in the USA. In 2005, David received Pensacola Sports top honor, Sportsman of the Year. In 2010, because of his new passion for cycling, he founded and serves as Chairman of the Pensacola Cycling Classic, a major USA Cycling stage race held in September drawing over 280 pro and top amateur cyclists from around the nation.
Mayo concludes, “In sports and life, it takes passion, skill and teamwork to be successful. These will work well for our city too.”
For more information visit www.mayoformayor.com